Mother’s Day may be over, but our work to improve mothers’ health isn’t!
Check out what we’ve been reading here at EngenderHealth—a selection of our favorite articles on and around Mother’s Day.
- In the Huffington Post, the head of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) reminds us that even strong mothers need continued support in reproductive health care.
- New estimates from the United Nations reveal a near 50% decline in annual maternal deaths between 1990 and 2010.
- Ms. Magazine explains why celebrating birth control on Mother’s Day isn’t as counterintuitive as it sounds.
- New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof highlights the plight of women living with fistula. EngenderHealth has also provided nearly 20,000 fistula repairs around the world to date.
- In Newsweek magazine, philanthropist Melinda Gates unveils her new crusade and why she’s making family planning her “signature issue.”
- Women Deliver celebrated the lifesaving work of midwives on May 5, the International Day of the Midwife.
- USA Today discusses the U.S. ranking in the annual report on the State of the World’s Mothers.